Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Friends are gathering again


The Friends are gathering again – for the 38th time.
And that means all that’s held sacred is fair game, all political affiliation is left at the door (or at least that’s how it’s supposed to work and does 99 percent of the time), all food and drink are consumed with vigor, and all proceeds are for good causes.
You can read Vito Ciccarelli’scolumn here for the ins and outs of the annual shebang which brings Lansingburgh natives together from across the street and across the country just to get their chops busted or maybe get one of the awards. Both are considered an honor – except the award winners get a plaque and the butt of the jokes have to smile, sometimes wave and most all the time wish they were somewhere else ... anywhere else … until it’s the next person’s turn through the gauntlet.
I wish I could share some of hilarious jokes I’ve heard in the past (and a couple that made me wish I never accepted that first invitation more than a few years ago) but then I would certainly piss off a good portion of The ‘Burgh and that’s something no sane person would voluntarily do. Sure, there is some truth to South Troy Against the World, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to take on every red-blooded male north of 101st Street either.
So, with that in mind, I will say it is a pretty good time with plenty of eats and plenty of booze and plenty of laughs.
Based on Chairman Mick Carrenger’s appearance on Talk1300, info from Ciccarelli’s column and stuff I’ve picked up over the years, six Friends who hadn’t seen each other in a while first got together 38 years ago. They had such a good time they decided to do it again the following year … and the following year and the year after that too and then again 34 more times. More and more decided to join in the fun the last Saturday in February and now the number of Friends is pushing 350.
Amazing, really, that such a tradition can carry on for so long. It’s not only the draw of eat and drink that bring the men together – it’s giving back to the community that taught them how to be men. All the proceeds benefit non-profit organizations and over the years the Friends have donated thousands of dollars to groups like the Lasingburgh Boys and Girls Club, baseball leagues, pop warner, Powers Park, The Flag Day Parade, ALS and the American Cancer Society.
(Sorry ladies, despite the fact that your gender, by biological default, spawned every man in the room you can’t come. However, while wives, girlfriends, mistresses and one-night stands are fair game, mother jokes are not allowed. Well, they are frowned upon … unless they are really funny then they are laughed at and then frowned upon.)
Generally the evening goes something like this: Social hour, dinner, remembrance of Friends who are no longer with us, the awards ceremony (that includes recognitions for athletics, military service, humanitarian of the year and man of the year), skit (which can be good and really funny or so bad it’s really funny), and then the speakers.
Anyway, thanks to this year’s committee that includes Uncle Tucker Hulihan, Gene Blair, Mick Cahrenger, Ron Bounds, Mike McDonald, Eric Gower, Kevin Vandenburgh, Scott Ryan, and Jim Duff for keeping a pretty cool tradition alive and well.
Here is the rundown:
-Where: St. Augustine's Hall
-When: Saturday
-Time: 5 p.m. to ?
-Cost: $35 (includes buffet, dessert, draft beer and soda)
-Tickets: Available from any committee member or at 41 Sports Bar and Grethen -Cahrenger Memorials



33 comments:

  1. You forgot to add that this year uncle lugg but cox cAnt attend because of Vito's secret weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew always had head in book. Next mayor of troy that's a fact jack we lose millions on running wards rat charlie sarris and caprod I come back to fight for my family and left all my toys in florida. One with the most toys wins I race motorcylce turn four lost it and samage me and retire to cut trees for contracts millions. Did I mention I clhave a kitty cat? I also live in college dorm area but it's ok I have a done buggy and pink motorcycle plastic forks

      Delete
    2. Missed uncle Lug-Nut last night. He's afraid of Vito, afraid of Vito? He'll get even, on his keyboard.

      Delete
  2. Heard Rodney met last weekend with Chappy and Loporto at Manory's asking for their support backing Rodney's run for Mayor.......they are on board so look for the big happy family dem table at the party. The only question is who is Rabbit backing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who cares? Rabbit who?

      Delete
    2. Rodney has no shot at being Mayor.

      Delete
  3. I bet they all will be happy at City Hall if Rodney wins.....was in there a few weeks ago and saw a girl knitting at her desk...nice gig going in the Clerks a Office...isn't that Rodney's crew? What's next arts and crafts and macaroni picture frames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More of Rodney's costly appointee's-- thought it was so busy in there the Deputy Clerk needed an assistant. Its what you get when you appoint based upon political favors.

      Delete
    2. Please don't just go after appointed go after all the stupid hires in city hall. What's the difference between knitting at your desk as opposed to walking around city hall taking selfies and flirting with the young cop in the hallway? At least the knitter is at her desk

      Delete
  4. Look for the always "classy" Born in the Burgh McGraths to sit and bitch about the evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop Jim, we know you wish you were a McGrath. A real McGrath, not that hairy backed pseudo McGrath.

      Delete
  5. Not true at all. I was at Manory's. The delusional bunch was asking Rodney supporters (rodney was not even present) for support of Clem's run for mayor. True story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clem still needs to explain how his dad got into THA.

      Delete
  6. Ya'll could be there all night with some of the doozies (and floozies) from this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone get vito to show up at zba meeting tues. the tow truckers are in asking for a chance to run 5th ave into a dirt shop again. if vito goes to meeting then uncle wacko cant talk at meeting and tell everyone about his resume back to the 40's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always comes to speak.

      Delete
    2. I will be there. No worries. Uncle lugg nutt cox will not be there. Hopefully Zba chair will be there too

      Love vito

      Delete
    3. The central scrutizer is always there The white zone is for unloading only

      Delete
  8. I hope all the neanderthals from North Troy enjoyed themselves last night. I was told the racist, sexist, homophobic bigots got a good laugh. I'm disappointed at our democratic officials Lou, McDonald, Manny, Campanna and Loporto for being part of it. I expect it from the losers Sweeney, Crist McGrath (Mark), Tutunjian, Mccashion and Gordon. To blatantly attack Rodney's ethnicity and make mean racial comments is unacceptable. For all you bloggers who complain about the fall of the "Burgh" you saw why last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please grown some balls, have you seen the Celebrity "Roasts" Same concept. Idiot.

      Delete
    2. If they really did attack groups as younsaid anyone that goes next year is condoning it. Racial attacks in particular today are for uneducated ignorant as you say neanderthals.

      Delete
    3. Here's a tip --if you don't like it, don't go. It's a great time, nobody complains, and a great deal of money is raised. Fucking PC idiot!

      Delete
    4. Really? The dialogue is racist and bigoted and anti gay? I didn't know that affair was like that. How can a person get a ticket?

      Delete
    5. Wouldn't the world be a better place if people didn't always try to be a victim of something? Making fun of our differences and short comings is a great way to bridge gaps. Those roasted at the event, and the 37 events prior handled it like men. Quit being a b*tch.

      Delete
    6. I'm a gay black man who hates whites and I had a hellva good time at the party.

      Delete
    7. Just read on Jim's newest post that women now have an event on the same day. For those of you who are whining maybe you should consider that event next year, you'll fit right in.

      Delete
  9. Hope you have running water up there in north troy for you slobs to wash your hands before you eat. Not the city's responsibilty if you get sick - or maybe Gordon will put you in a hotel to eat better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gordon's useless. Can't he get anything done? Maybe the arsonist running around his district will volunteer to thaw the pipes. An orange has more juice than Jim Gordon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Superhero, for enlightening us with more slop. Good luck with your feud-- you're los(er)ing.

      Delete
  10. I have no running water, my pipes froze too. I know though I own those pipes and it is my issue to deal with. I'm not looking for a handout to get my water running. I am capable of recognizing its a bad winter and not the city's fault. In an attempt to help myself I went out and shoveled the snow off the area where my water pipe runs so the sun can hopefully thaw the ground. It would be nice if I could get my water running but I recognize no one owes me anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like bill dunne wrote that comment above

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want to apologize for my comments at the friends of 112th st gathering....I was working off a Don Rickles theme from the old celebrity Roasts - the Politicians in the Audience - were not aware of what my comments were to be - I went over board - and I take 100% blame for that,,,,,,,, next year we need some new blood...... In closing - I am sorry if Rodney was offended - That was not my Attention......The 112th Committee does GREAT things for our Community - Community Leaders Like Don Fane - Put there Money where their mouth is - To Help See that our Community Continues to thrive....Respectfully , jimmy Lance

    ReplyDelete